Friday, July 30, 2010

Summer Reading

Summer ReadingNot a lot of time to write today, I’m afraid. I assume that’s okay, though. Lots of other summer reading available to you, if yr looking for such.

For example, there have been a ton of articles popping up all over concerning that House Financial Services Committee vote in favor of H.R. 2267, the Internet Gambling Regulation, Consumer Protection, and Enforcement Act. Seems like everyone has something to say about it. I added a couple more cents on the subject over on the Betfair poker site today, too: “Online Poker in the U.S.: On the House Financial Services Committee Vote.”

Incidentally, I have decided to create an archive page from which I’m linking all of my Betfair columns. Have had the chance to do a lot of fun things over there, including interviewing several folks and reviewing a number of poker books. I’ve made a little banner down the right-hand side which will get you to the page, or you can just click here to see it.

Was thinking of doing something similar with some my old PokerNews stuff, too -- that is, creating a page that links to the book reviews and all of those “Poker & Pop Culture” columns I wrote for them. In fact, I’m still working on all of my archive pages, including those for the various sections here on Hard-Boiled Poker (e.g., On the Street, The Rumble, etc.). Hope soon to have all that stuff in order and up to date.

'Lost Vegas' by Paul McGuire (2010)Speaking of book reviews and interviews, I’m continuing to read and enjoy Dr. Pauly’s chronicle of his time reporting on the WSOP (plus his other Las Vegas-based adventures). I am of course referring to his recently-published book Lost Vegas: The Redneck Riviera, Existentialist Conversations with Strippers, and the World Series of Poker. I’ll probably be penning a review of the book soon, and plan to try to interview the author about it, too.

Kind of an uncanny feeling, reading about all of these “characters” I’ve gotten to know over the last few years. Indeed, a lot of what I’ve been experiencing thus far has been a lot of filling in of gaps in my personal knowledge of my fellow bloggers and other media types, as well as in the recent history of the WSOP. A lot of “ahh... so this is where he/she came from” moments so far. Also a few “a-ha!” moments, too, with regard to certain mysteries and other behind-the-scenes stuff at the WSOP circa 2005-2008.

I haven’t quite finished the book, although I can already recommend the book to anyone interested in the poker media, Las Vegas, and particularly the post-boom growth of the WSOP over the last few years. Kind of feeling like PokerVixen was a few days ago when she tweeted “I’m this >< close to finishing @LostVegasBook. I’ve stopped though because I don’t want it to end.” Go visit Dr. Pauly’s Lost Vegas site for details about ordering.

And after you’ve done that, go have yourself a relaxing, air-conditioned weekend.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts
Older Posts

Copyright © 2006-2021 Hard-Boiled Poker.
All Rights Reserved.